Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Giro Prediction after Stage 16

Today is a rest day on the Giro D'Italia, and after yesterday's Mountain Time Trial I am sure most of the riders will be grateful for the break. Although only 12.85 km, some sections were up to 24% gradient! If you've ever cycled, you would know a gradient of 12% is steep, and most of us would be quickly onto the granny gear. To make things worse, the top section of the climb was on gravel. Believe me, those guys earned their wages yesterday!

Alberto Contador finished 4th, 22 seconds behind the winner on the day, Franco Pellizotti, but managed to hold on to the maglia rosa (leader's jersey). My money is on Contador to hold onto the jersey all the way to Milano; he has something to prove after the announcement that his Astana Team would be excluded from the Tour de France later in the year. Last year's winner, Danilo Di Luca, is 6th overall at 2:18, and possibly the only one consistent enough to mount a challenge.

General Classification after Stage 16:
1 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana                        68.47.31
2 Riccardo Riccò (Ita) Saunier Duval - Scott 0.41
3 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Serramenti PVC 1.21
4 Marzio Bruseghin (Ita) Lampre 2.00
5 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas 2.05
6 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) LPR Brakes 2.18
7 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 2.47
8 Emanuele Sella (Ita) CSF Group Navigare 4.25
9 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Silence - Lotto 4.26
10 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) CSF Group Navigare 5.25
I had my own rest day this morning, although I should have been out there doing hill training with the rest of the guys I train with. Do you ever have those nights where your mind just won't slow down, even if you're physically exhausted? I was awake past midnight, arbitrary thoughts racing through my head, and at some point decided I would need the extra 2 hours sleep more than the ride out to Cowie's. Tomorrow is another day...

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment